Friday 18 July 2008

Seems an odd charge to me

I heard this report on the news this morning. It's about a family injured while sleeping in their beds this morning when a 16 year old drove a car into their cottage.

Yes, you read right, a 16 year old drove a car into their cottage, causing rubble to fall on them while they slept.

The home owner said

"We were sleeping as normal and suddenly there was a big crash, bright lights and the front of the house was coming in.

"The first thing I did was check my partner and our baby. Everybody was fine, with just a few bumps and bruises from flying debris.

"Luckily the baby's cot was on the other side of the room. If it had been next to the window, I dread to think what would have happened.

"Our bedroom wall and window, as well as the front door, have been demolished."

Now, what seemed strange to me when I heard this on the radio was the charge laid at the driver. He's 16, so isn't old enough to a)own a car (so by definition it must have been stolen - or 'taken without permission'), b)hold even a provisional licence, let alone a full one, or c)have insurance.

And yet, do you know what they'd charged him with?

"Failing to stop at the scene of an accident"

How nuts is that?

I liked this quote from the homeowner too -

"When you have a young baby in the house it can be rather hard to get to sleep, but when a car comes through the bedroom wall it does rather wake you up."

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Some of the things they charge people with these days are mind-boggling. All this 'failure to' and 'conspiring to'. Beats the heck out of me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...