Wednesday 6 January 2010

Snow, Snow and More Snow

The United Kingdom has ground to a halt. Why? Snow. One word but it seems that as a country we are completely unequipped to cope with it. Schools shut, idiots abandon their cars in the most ridiculous places after venturing out when clearly they shouldn’t have thinking that they are ace drivers so they’ll be okay but then end up in a bush.

But what I find more frustrating is that we don’t seem to learn from our mistakes. When I was growing up I was taught that it’s okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. I think this is one of the fundamentals of growing up. I mean, even wild animals learn from their mistakes – it’s how we are able to train dogs, horses etc. Not learning from your mistakes is the height of stupidity in my opinion. So the people that run this country and the people that live in it must be very, very stupid indeed.

We had a load of snow last February, yet, not even a full twelve months later, we’re having exactly the same problems. Why? Cause preparing to cope with snow when it comes doesn't win votes and not coping when there is snow doesn’t lose votes, that’s why.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The biggest problem with Democracy is that the people we elect to run our country and our services are primarily concerned with STAYING elected the next time around. So rather than do what is best for the country, they do what is best for their election chances.

Case in point, there is talk again today of the Labour party trying to ditch Gordon Brown. Not for the good of the country, but because he might hurt their electoral chances. For God’s sake! You people have a job to do – running the country – can you please get on with doing it and not worry about ‘fighting the next election’ until the next election is actually called! DO YOUR DAMN JOBS!

I swear, when I come to power, democracy will be the first thing to go.

Sorry. Rant over. To other matters. Do you remember my post a couple of weeks ago about being ‘grabbed by the balls’ by a story? I talked about how I’d been writing a story but wasn’t happy with it and then a new idea struck me and it seemed to be a winner.

Since then, I haven’t been able to work on that new story for one reason and another, but one of the side effects of being ‘grabbed by the balls’ by a story idea is that sometimes it kick-starts the creative juices and other stories also benefit. And the University story I was working on and not getting on with is one of those.

An idea. A thought. I think I’ve worked out what’s wrong with it. It’s just an idea at the moment-one I need to explore-but I think it could enable me to finally finish this story that has been with me for years and then move on. I’ll let you know what happens.

Finally, I’m considering doing a Video-log. I’ve tested a few things and none have them have satisfied me yet, but if I can work it out, you might soon be able to hear me talking crap rather than just read it.

1 comment:

  1. Silliest thing I saw was drivers demanding warning notices on every icy road because they hadn't realised how slippery the roads were until they drove down them. Um. One, it doesn't take rocket science to work out that ice is going to be slippery. And two, how is anyone going to get out there to put the notices up? ::headdesk::

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...