Sunday 7 February 2010

Swept Away

It’s been a long, hard week at work. Long, hard and tiring. I’m hoping next week will be a bit easier, but I doubt it. Of course, I haven’t made things easy on myself, staying up late to write.

I know I said recently that I was going to rewrite some of my older stories to bring them up to standard, but that’s not what I’ve been working on. And I haven’t been working on my university based WIP either. No, I’ve started something new.

Last Wednesday I was hit, smack between the eyes, which was a bit of a shock to be honest. JK Rowling has often said that her characters and the basic plot line of the Harry Potter series popped into her head fully formed one day when she was on the train. Well, Wednesday was bit like that for me.

I was driving to work when this group of people started bugging me to tell their story – and they haven’t left me alone since. I’m currently writing at around five thousand words a day, which is unheard of for me, I’m normally at two thousand word a day man at most.

The new story takes place in a small town in my fictional county of Westmouthshire called Micester (pronounced, as the narrator tells us, Mister not My Cester). The narrator is a seventeen year old named Paul and the story follows his final year in school as he hopes to succeed in his A-levels and escape Micester – a town he hates.

I don’t want to give too much away at this early stage, but these characters are driving me to write at a terrific pace and it feels great. I’m going to sleep at night them still in my head saying, “aww, just ten more minutes. Please.”

Let’s hope this pace keeps up. I’ll have this one finished in record time if it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...