Monday 20 September 2010

Heartache Maketh the Writer

They say, or so I’m led to believe, that writers are at their best when pouring out all the heartache, tragedy and pain of their own lives onto the page. Is it true? I don’t know, but maybe I’m about to find out. Although, to be honest, I’ve never felt less like writing than I do at the moment.

September was supposed to be a month of celebration following the release of Eternally & Evermore at the end of August. Should have known better, shouldn’t I?

First of all, the book didn’t get its release when it was supposed to. It should have been available to buy on 30th August – that’s what I was told. On the publisher's “Coming Soon” page it was listed as available in August (but no day specified) as well. But on September 1st it still wasn’t released. I did my best to find out what was up, and if the delay was my fault, but it took another week before the book came out. 7th September to be exact. And I still don’t know the reason for the delay (not that it matters, but it would be nice to know).

More worrying, perhaps, is that, as I write this post, there hasn’t been another release from Phaze since then (as my book is showing first on the ‘recently released’ list), my book is still on the “Coming Soon” page (and is still shown as “Coming in August”) and there are no other books listed on that page.

I don’t know what’s going on, but I hope it gets sorted out soon.

Then something else, something more important, happened which really fucked September up good and proper. My wife suffered a miscarriage.

She was ‘only’ ten weeks gone, but it was enough for the both of us to start making plans and get excited. That’ll teach us.

So I’m sure you’ll forgive my absence from this blog for a while. I’ve had more important things to deal with. Of course, if “Heartache Maketh the Writer” is true, I should have been channelling everything I was feeling into possibly my best work ever, but like I said, I’ve never felt less like writing. It just doesn't seem important right now.

Still, life goes on. Eternally & Evermore  is out and available to buy from the Phaze website, Smashwords, and All Romance eBooks. My little boy has started school and my wife and I both still have our health. Even if we are trying to come to terms with what has happened. Life goes on.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your troubles, Marc. I know from experience how tough that kind of loss can be, especially when you're excited and making plans for the future.

    I hope Phaze can hang on... I just had a look at the snippet of Eternally & Evermore. Sounds good, might have to get me a copy.

    As far a heartache making the writer, sometimes it's best to let some time pass so you have some perspective before it actually "goes into effect." It took me nearly 30 years before I could write about a painful past, but boy, was it cathartic when I did!

    Anyway, hang in there. Things will get better.

    Anyway, keep plugging along. It will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammy. I think we're both 'coping' as best we can by trying to focus on the positives in our lives - of which there are more than we realised before last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have my sympathy Marc, myself and my partner are going through the same sort of process and it's hard to come to terms with at times and it does make everything else seem insignificant. Hang on in there and don't even think about writing until your head is straight again and then you'll hopefully find you can pour your feelings into the page.

    JB

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...