Monday 11 June 2007

I've been Phished

Last week I received an e-mail from Halifax Plc, one of the UK’s leading banks. It looked very official, even had the company number and registered office listed. The gist of the message was :

Halifax Online Banking Security Department has been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorised uses of the Halifax Online Banking accounts. As a result we are temporarily shutting down some selected Halifax Online Banking Accounts perceived vulnerable to this, pending till the time we carry out proper verification by the account owner. Halifax Online Banking is committed to ensure the safeguard of each customer personal information, making sure only authorised individuals have access to their accounts

There was a link to click on to reactivate my account. Interestingly, this came to one of my Marc Nobbs e-mail addresses, which I wouldn’t consider using for online banking since it would be very difficult for Marc Nobbs to provide ID to open an account (what with not being real and everything). Added to that, the man behind the nym has never so much as set foot in a Halifax branch, let alone had an account with them.

Here is my, rather restrained, reply :

Dear Halifax,
Not only is Marc Nobbs a pseudonym used by myself to write erotic fiction - I don't even back with Halifax under my real name. In fact, I've never had an account with Halifax, or indeed with any of your subsidiaries.
If you are going to Phish, at least check you're doing it to,
a)real people and
b) Halifax customers.
I expect an apology forthwith,

Many Thanks,
Marc Nobbs.
www.marcnobbs.com

Funnily enough, I haven’t had a reply yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...