Tuesday 17 April 2007

Not again?

It seems like we get one every year, but that makes it no less horrific or tragic. Again a once considered safe American community is in shock following a massacre in which too many people have lost their lives.

I could go on about this for some time. I could talk about how I fail to understand how a supposedly advance civilisation can still allow firearms to be so readily available. I could talk about my feelings towards the guy on British radio this morning from the pro-gun lobby who had stayed up until the early hours where he was in order to say that “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” and claim that had the victims been carrying their own guns they may never have become victims.

I could ask if it’s right that this madman will make the international headlines, but the other 50+ victims of gun crime in the US yesterday will go unreported everywhere but their local community. I could go on and on and on…

But I won’t. It won’t do any good. The same debate takes place after every incident. And the same people spout the same arguments both for and against guns.

Instead, all I will do is offer my heartfelt condolences to those who the victims have left behind. Mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters. They are the ones who will have to live with what has happened long after the cameras have been packed away, the news trucks have left and the rest of the world have shrugged their shoulders and said “Oh, well, what do you expect, it’s America.” My heart goes out to them at the very same time that I hope beyond hope that I never have to experience what they are.

Best wishes and be safe,

Marc

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...