Tuesday 4 November 2008

It's D-day. Or should that be E-day?

I have, quite literally, just put the finishing touches to my second draft of Kissed by a Rose and subbed it to Phaze for consideration. I will, of course, keep this blog updated of its progress. It's a nice feeling to have finally sent it away. Yes, I know that IF its accepted there is still work to do, but it's a good feeling nevertheless.

I am now free to look at other pieces. I think I know what I'm going to tackle next, but I'm keeping schtum until I actually start work.

It is, of course, election day across the pond. I hop everyone who's eligible will get out and make their voice heard. The polls would have us believe it's a foregone conclusion, but, as I said before, polls have been wrong in the past. According to the BBC Breakfast news this morning, the result is a clear win for Obama, not because of the polls, but because he is the taller candidate and in the last however many elections, the taller candidate has always won.

Also, when the Washington redskins win their last game before the election, the incumbent party wins, and when they lose, the other party wins-and (they said on the news) the Redskins lost their last game. I'll admit to having not checked this because I'm lazy and have little interest in American football.

I must admit, I envy all those of you who are going to be voting today in what could well turn out to be the most important and significant election of all time. Okay, so that's an exaggeration, but it certainly is for the most powerful office on the planet and will result in one of the all time great upsets or the first ever black man in the Oval Office.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but whoever wins won't actually be president until next year, is that right? For a Brit, this is odd. When we have an election, the office is taken up next day. For example, in '97 when Labour won their landslide, John Major moved out of Number 10 the next morning and Tony Blair had his feet under the desk by teatime. So to have to wait a few months.... It just seems odd.

Anyway, Happy Voting everyone. It doesn't matter who you vote for (well, it does, but you know what I mean) or whether you vote with your heart or your head (or your little pinky finger), voting is a privilege as well as a right, so please, please, please, get out and vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...