Thursday 13 November 2008

Bad News

All in all it wasn't the best of days yesterday. It started off well and I'll admit to being in a unusually good mood. But Mid-afternoon the directors called the staff into the office and announced that they believe us to be over-staffed in the current economic climate, and that they would be looking to reduce the number of secretarial hours by the equivalent of one full time worker. That doesn't sound too bad, and they didn't use the "R" word, but when you consider that there are only five full time secretaries and two part-timers, it's a big deal.

Fortunately, I'm not in the firing line yet. And as long as I'm the only one in the firm who can run payroll, I don't think I will be, but my friends are and it's painful to watch.

The directors did ask for suggestions for solutions that wouldn't result in a redundancy, and more than one of them have suggested a general reduction of working hours between them all,, but I'm sad to say there seems to be something of a 'me first' attitude amongst some. I believe they are thinking that for whatever reason, they are safe and it'll be someone else who goes. So why should they lose money to save someone else.

If that is what they believe, then it is very sad. It shows me that we are not the team I thought we were.

So, all in all, not a very pleasant day in the end. I hope we can find a way through this without losing someone. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! Sorry to hear the news. I don't miss corporate work at all, mainly because of things like this. I used to work as a gov't contractor, and every year had to compete for my job, in spite of the fact that I worked 60+ hrs a week without charging for overtime and I pulled miracles out of thin air on a regular basis. I was so glad to leave that job. Now I have a job where I can get fired - mom! Still long hours, but I get paid in sticky toddler kisses and I still have time to write.

    Good luck with the work situation!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...