Thursday 22 January 2009

This Blog and blah, blah, blah.

Some time ago (we’re talking 6 to 8 months) I was posting the entries on this blog to several different sites. MySpace, Blogger, Soulcast, Zoo Weekly, and StoriesOnline. One by one they drifted away until only the Blogger and MySpace entries were kept up.

My initial reasoning was that I wanted to get as much exposure as possible. But it proved to be too much work, or I didn’t seem to be getting any readers, or, in one case, I was asked to stop. Well not asked to stop completely, just asked to stop certain posts.

But, I think it’s time I gave it another go. These days I’m using the MS Live Writer to write my posts, which actually makes things pretty easy. So, in theory, it should be fairly simple to post to multiple sites again. I don’t know if it will be, but I’m certainly willing to give it a go and see what happens.

Which is why, if you’re reading this on one of the sites that I haven’t posted for a while, the posts have suddenly started up again.

What’s prompted this? Well, to be honest, I’ve read a couple of blog entries today on StoriesOnline, from Bradley Stoke, Rache and Lubrican, which has prompted it. They were talking about reader reaction to blogs and stories and it peaked my interest.

In the case of Bradley, he was complaining (sic) about the lack of interesting blogs on SOL. He said that most were dull and self-promoting. “I’ve just posted chapter 6”, that kind of thing. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that – it’s just a way for SOL writers to announce what they are doing to people who might be following them. But Bradley’s right, it’s not exactly fascinating stuff.

At the same time, Rache has been taken to task by a correspondent because she doesn’t use her blog to do just that. She actually posts interesting articles about a range of interesting topics.

This blog, of course, falls somewhere between the two. It is, primarily, a marketing tool. I want people who read my blog to buy my books. And to that end, I keep them informed about what I’m working on, new releases and the occasional excerpt. But, I’m also a writer. And I write. About all sorts of stuff. If a topic moves me, I’ll write about it. I’ve been told it’s these ‘off topic’ posts that keep my blog interesting. And you need and interesting blog to generate readers – and hopefully those readers will like the way in which I write and so give my books a go.

I the end it’s all marketing.

But this is MY blog. And I write on it what I want to write on it. Otherwise, what would be the point?

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I went to your site and it is gorgeous! Second, what right does a reader have (and that is what I am) to complain about what is on someone else's blog. OMG, REALLY? A blog is a persons personal space on the web. If I, as a reader, do not like the comment, there is nothing easier to do that clicking on the little red X at the top of the browser. I like reading the promos, I like reading the articles, I DO NOT like it when I read negative comments on someone's comment section. This world tears people down enough, I think we sure has heck don't need to do it to people we do not even know. Anyway, those were my personal comments and I can't wait to read your books. I am glad you have updated your blog and remember, it is your page, do it YOUR way, skip over any negative comments if you get any! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment's lastnerve. The negative comments I referred to here were actually posted as 'comments' on the blog, because the blog fuction on StoriesOnline doesn't do that. Instead they were mailed to the authors of those particular blogs.
    And negative comments have been a problem with StoriesOnline for as long as the site has existed. Becuase the site allows anonymous feedback to both stories and blogs, some people think it gives them the right to say what they like with no comeback. It's sad, but true that some people like to hide behind the anonymity of the web.

    Anyway, I'm glad you like my site, and look to hearing what you think of my books.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...