Wednesday 1 October 2008

Who do we Trust? Does it even Matter?

Yesterday was not a good day for me. I had a very busy day at work, which actually I quite enjoyed, but i didn't get done everything I wanted. Then there was all the crap with MySpace not keeping me logged in, consequently meaning I couldn't read or post blogs, or do anything really other than fire messages off to MySpace UK. And I know I wasn't the only one. A quick look on the MSUK page shows loads and loads of comments yesterday saying the same thing. I sent them three messages yesterday. One at lunchtime, one at the end of the working day and one before bed. And do you know what? MySpace tells you when the messages have been read, and as of now (lunchtime the next day) none of those three messages have even been read. MySpace seems to be working now, but I still feel like I don't matter to these people.

But what can you expect from the same company that owns Sky and The Sun?

Anyway. The Tory's are having their conference this week. Not good for them given all the shit going on over the water. I did find the 'blame game' in the US congress quite amusing.

It was her fault for saying we didn't want to. That's why we didn't. If she hadn't of said that, we would have.

Please. They may as well stand across the playground from each other going "my dad's better than your dad. Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah"

What actually happened of course is that all those up for re-election voted against to make them seem tough and 'on-their-side' to the voters, but didn't expect the deal to fail. So when it did, they had to look around for someone else to blame.

It's the fundamental problem with democracy - the decision makers have to get re-elected and to get re-elected they have to be popular. so they won't make unpopular decisions even if they are the right decisions. Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, i don't know if the Bush plan is the best plan. I don't know enough about macro-economics to even guess if it is or not, and I'm not saying democracy is a bad thing. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's the best we've managed to come with in two thousand years. I'm just commenting on what's gone on. That's all.

And so, to the title of the blog. Who do we Trust? On Radio Five Live this morning there was a phone-in asking just that. Who do you trust to get us through this financial crisis, Brown or Cameron. My immediate reaction was, does it matter? If we were in the midst of an election campaign, it might. But we're not. So even if we did trust Cameron more, there's nothing we can do a bout it. We're stuck with Brown until he decides to call an election, which at the moment looks like 2010 - by which time (hopefully) we'll have put all this behind us and be on the way to recovery.

That said, I have been very impressed with Cameron this week. He's making his big conference speech today, so we'll see how that goes, but in the interviews he's already given, he's come across very well. Last week, when the lovely Sian Williams interviewed Gordon Brown on BBC Breakfast, she tore him to shreds. Whereas David Cameron didn't let her. He pushed back. He gave as good as he got. He was very impressive.

But, the election is two years away. That's two years too long in my opinion, but it's two years for a Brown fightback. We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...